If you’re a school leader, you are most likely also an overachiever. And from what I know about overachievers (it’s a lot, I am one!), we also tend to set unrealistic expectations for ourselves. This year, however, I encourage you to embrace the Japanese philosophy of Kaizen, which champions the idea of continuous improvement. Rather than chasing after perfection this school year, lean into the beauty of steady growth, progress, and evolution. I for one believe it will make a happy and healthier you, and that your staff and students can learn a lot from this leadership style.
With this mindset, here are 5 strategies to ensure this school year is not just productive but also enriching:
- Rediscover the Joy of Learning: Maybe this is your first superintendency, or you’ve taken on a new and different type of school leadership role this year. Dive into the academic year with an appetite for knowledge. Cherish every learning curve and remember, it’s about the journey, not just the destination. Let Kaizen be your guide.
- Set Attainable Goals: It’s essential to dream big, but grounding those aspirations in reality makes the journey less daunting. Celebrate every small victory, and remember that continuous growth is the key.
- Celebrate Every Step: Whether it’s seeing your district’s achievement numbers increase, or reducing chronic absenteeism, every achievement deserves recognition. These moments build confidence and motivation.
- Stay Curious: Embrace the timeless wisdom, “The only unwise question is the one not asked.” Foster an environment of curiosity. Asking questions is the foundation of growth and understanding.
- Seek Guidance When Needed: Lean on fellow leaders, mentors and school staff. We’re all on this academic journey together, and there’s a wealth of wisdom to tap into from those around you.
As we embark on a new school year, let’s let Kaizen illuminate our path. Prioritize growth over perfection and cherish each learning opportunity that comes your way. Every day offers a new lesson.
And for those looking for additional support, especially in narrating their unique educational story, Allerton Hill Communications is just an email away. Let’s make this year unforgettable together.